Thursday, August 21, 2008

24-karat tips from America's Olympic hopefuls


Visualize success

Kara Goucher, 30
Portland, Oregon

Sport:
Track and field
"On hard days, I picture myself crossing the finish line and being elated. You have no idea how many times I've already 'won' the gold!"








Make your own rules

Dara Torres, 41
Parkland, Florida

Sport: Swimming
Last August, 23 years after her Olympic debut, the new mom broke the American record in the 50-meter freestyle. The message she wants to send to her daughter: "Don't put an age limit on your dreams."







Sculpt sexy shoulders

Candace Parker, 22
Los Angeles

Sport: Basketball
This past spring, after winning her second NCAA Championship at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Parker joined the WNBA, where she plays for the Los Angeles Sparks. To stay fit on the road, the 6-foot-4-inch hoopster works out in her hotel room. "I lie facedown on the bed and 'swim' freestyle and breaststroke to strengthen my back and shoulders," she says.





Downsize your thighs

Becca Ward, 18
Portland, Oregon

Sport: Fencing
Want the secret to a toned, honed lower half? Ask a fencer. "Our lead leg gets so strong," says Ward, who strengthens (and evens out) her thighs with twisting walking lunges: Holding one 10-pound weight at chest level in both hands, lunge forward with right leg; with right thigh parallel to floor, knee over ankle, twist torso right. Return to standing. Repeat on left. Do 10 reps.



De-stress in an instant

Shawn Johnson, 16
West Des Moines, Iowa

Sport: Gymnastics
"I listen to calming music to help stay focused and to keep my butterflies at a minimum. Kate Nash is my favorite."









Enjoy sweet satisfaction

Katie Hoff, 19
Towson, Maryland

Sport:Swimming
"For a quick snack, I love [Hostess] 100-calorie mini-muffin packs. You know how many calories they have, so you don't have to worry about overeating," Hoff says. Her other eat-sweets-and-still-stay-slim strategy? "I try to keep my splurges to once a week," she says. "I like to split a piece of Oreo cheesecake with a friend. Delish!"






Perform under pressure

Abby Wambach, 28
Hermosa Beach, California

Sport: Soccer
"Whatever I do, I do to the best of my ability. Knowing that takes stress out of the outcome."








Save your skin from the sun

Deena Kastor, 35
Mammoth Lakes, California

Sport: Track and field
"I take skin care very seriously," says Kastor, who won a bronze medal in the 2004 Olympic marathon a year after being treated for stage II melanoma on her shoulder and right arm. "You need more than a pair of shoes to run: a cap, sun-protective clothing and generous amounts of sunscreen. I like Neutrogena SPF 70."




Tighten and tone your tummy

Kerri Walsh, 30
Hermosa Beach, California

Sport: Beach volleyball
Running and jumping on the sand for up to three hours a day is one way to sculpt muscles, but the 6-foot-3-inch Walsh's sexy midsection could be courtesy of pilates, which she practices three times a week. "It makes you more flexible, so you're stronger and more stable, too." Her prized move: the Teaser. Lie faceup, arms overhead on floor. Roll torso up as you extend legs to 45 degrees, reaching hands toward toes. Return to start; repeat three times.



Find your inner motivation

Allyson Felix, 22
Los Angeles

Sport: Track and field
"I'm not superstitious, but before each race, I pray that I'll represent God well. That's what it's all about for me," Felix says. "But a gold would be nice, too!"











Face your greatest fear

Haley Ishimatsu, 15
Indianapolis

Sport: Diving
"I'm actually scared of heights," confesses Ishimatsu, who regularly dives off a 10-meter platform. "Doing a dive gives me something else to think about. If I have to just jump straight off? I can't do that!"






Give back to your body

Jessica Mendoza, 27
Camarillo, California

Sport: Softball
"Post-workout, I refuel with a banana, peanut butter and berry smoothie. It's very sustaining."










Source:http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/slideshows/2008/07/0721olympics_slides?slide=1

No comments: